Social Media Image Sizes 2021: Everything You Need to Know
All social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc. have different requirements of layout and image. For example, a post suitable for Facebook image sizes may not fit LinkedIn, or a photo shared on Instagram may not work on Twitter.
We are sorry to inform you that you cannot use an image created for a particular social network in other social networks. This is because there is no single image size suitable for all platforms. In particular, if you have an extensive social media content, you must edit the different versions of social media image post sizes for each platform on an individual basis.
Recommended Social Media Image Sizes For 2021
We know that it is very hard to keep up with this pace as social media image dimensions are constantly updated. That’s why we’ve decided to list the best social media image sizes for you, which we hope will be useful for you, and constantly update them for your convenience.
Let’s start first with how you should use image dimensions for your social media profiles?
In the infographic presented below, you can find the recommended image sizes.
Now, let’s have a look at social media image dimensions on a step-by-step basis.
Recommended Image Size For Facebook in 2021
Although there are those who say that Facebook is not used much anymore, i.e. is outdated, Facebook is still the social media network with the highest number of users in the world today as it was yesterday. So, this platform still has a very big potential. That’s why you need to know all the details about Facebook.
Today, as our topic is about social media image dimensions, we have listed everything about Facebook image sizes for you below.
Facebook Profile Image Size: 180 x 180 px
The most important image you have on Facebook is probably your profile photo. This is because your profile photo is displayed not only on your profile, but also everywhere your profile is displayed. So, you need to make an effort and follow the guidelines below for a good-looking profile image.
- Recommended size for Facebook profile photo should be at least 180 x 180 pixels.
- Your profile photo will be displayed as 170 x 170 pixels on desktop computers and as 128 x 128 pixels on smartphones.
Facebook Cover Image Size: 820 x 312 px
The cover image is the large horizontal image at the top of your Facebook profile page. While most people use images that reflect their personalities in this area, brands use this area to reflect their vision.
- The recommended size for the Facebook cover image should be at least 400 x 150 pixels.
- Your Facebook cover image is displayed as 820 x 312 pixels on desktop computers and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
Facebook Post Image Size: 1200 x 630 px
You must adhere to the recommended image size in order to ensure that the image you share on Facebook fully conveys your message. Otherwise, there is no sense in sharing a post on Facebook.
- The recommended size for a post on Facebook should be 1200 x 630 pixels.
Recommended Other Facebook Image Sizes
- Facebook shared link image size: 1200 x 628 px
- Facebook group cover images size: 1640 x 856 px
- Facebook event image size: 1920 x 1005 px
- Facebook story image size: 1080 x 1920 px
- Facebook story size for ads: 1080 x 1920 px
- Facebook highlighted image size: 1200 x 717 px
- Facebook video size: 1280 x 720 px
- Facebook image ad size: 1200 x 628 px
- Facebook video ad size: 1080 x 1350 px or 1080 x 1080 px
Recommended Twitter Image Sizes For 2021
As in every social media platform, Twitter has also determined different aspect ratios for all image types (profile, advertisement, etc.). If you upload images that do not comply with these aspect ratios determined by Twitter, your images may appear to be cropped, which causes you to not be able to convey the desired message.
That’s why we’ve listed the different image sizes on Twitter for you below, in order to avoid such a confusion:
Twitter Profile Image Size: 400 x 400 px
Even if you use Twitter for personal and daily purposes only, you still need to make sure that the size of your profile image is as large as possible.
- The recommended size for the Twitter profile image should be at least 400 x 400 pixels and at most 2 MB.
- Accepted file formats for Twitter profile image are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
Twitter Header Image Size: 1500 x 500 px
Your header image on Twitter should reflect your personality, vision or brand and complement your Twitter profile image.
- The recommended size for the Twitter header image should be at least 1500 x 500 pixels and at most 5 MB.
- Accepted file formats for the Twitter header image are JPG and PNG.
Twitter Post Image Size: 1024 x 512px
With your posts on Twitter, it is possible to attract thousands of people to your brand in just minutes. Of course, if you share posts with appropriate image sizes…
- The recommended size for the Twitter post image should be at least 1500 x 500 pixels and at most 5 MB.
- Accepted file formats for Twitter post image are JPG, PNG, and GIF.
Recommended Other Twitter Image Sizes
- Twitter card image size: 120 x 120 px (Minimum)
- Twitter video size: 1280 x 1084 px
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 800 px (Carousels)
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 418 px (Direct Message card)
- Twitter image size for ads: 800 x 418 px (Website card)
- Twitter video size for ads: 720 x 720 px (Square)
- Twitter video size for ads: 1280 x 720 px (Landscape)
- Twitter video size for ads: 720 x 1280 px (Portrait)
Recommended Instagram Image Sizes For 2021
Being a visual social network from the first day it was launched, Instagram may be confusing for you with its square, horizontal and vertical types of images.
To avoid such a confusion, we have listed below for you how different image sizes should be on Instagram:
Instagram Profile Image Size: 320 x 320 px
You can use the crop tool to resize your profile photo on Instagram, thereby centring your image and highlighting the point you want to focus on.
- The recommended size for Instagram profile image should be 320 x 320 pixels.
- Although your image has a square size, the profile image on Instagram is displayed as a circle.
Instagram Post Image Size: 1080 x 1080 px (Square)
Instagram supports not only square images, but also horizontal and vertical images. Although this variety increases your options, it makes a bit more difficult for you to properly size the image.
- The recommended size for Instagram post image should be at least 1080 x 1080 pixels (square), 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape), 1080 x 1350 pixels (portrait).
Recommended Other Instagram Image Sizes
- Instagram Stories image size: 1080 x 1920 px
- Instagram video sizes: 1080 x 1080 px (square), 1080 x 1350 px (portrait), 1080 x 567 px (landscape)
- Instagram photo thumbnails: 161 x 161 px
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 1080 px (square)
- Instagram ads size: 1080 x 566 px (landscape)
- Instagram Reels: 1080 x 1920 px
- IGTV video size: 1080 x 1920 px
Recommended YouTube Image Sizes For 2021
Although YouTube is a social network where video content is shared, you also need to pay attention to small details such as profile image, channel cover image etc. if you want to show a good performance in this platform.
That’s why we’ve listed the different image sizes on YouTube for you below:
YouTube Profile Image Size: 800 x 800 px
Although YouTube profile image is not considered very important when compared to other social networks, you should follow the guidelines below for a professional image.
- The recommended size for the YouTube profile image should be at least 800 x 800 pixels.
- Accepted file formats for YouTube profile image are JPG, BMP, PNG, and GIF (excluding animated GIFs).
YouTube Channel Cover Image Size: 2560 x 1440 px
This photo, also called as “Channel Cover Image”, is the image at the top of your YouTube channel. Since it will be one of the first items that will attract the attention of visitors to your channel, you can surprise those who visit your channel by using a striking image.
- The recommended size for YouTube channel cover image should be 2560 x 1440 pixels and the maximum file size of 6MB.
YouTube Video Thumbnail Size: 1280 x 720 px
When you upload a video to YouTube, you are allowed to select a frame from the video as a thumbnail. But if you want to have your own thumbnail, you can prepare and upload your own thumbnail design according to the recommended image size.
- The recommended size for YouTube video thumbnail should be at least 1280 x 720 pixels and a maximum file size of 2MB.
- The ideal aspect ratio is 16:9.
Recommended Other YouTube Image Sizes
- YouTube Companion banner ads: 300 x 250 px
- YouTube Overlay ads: 480 x 60 px
- YouTube Display ads: 300 x 250 px
- YouTube Standard video: 426 x 240 px (minimum dimension), 3840 x 2160 px (max dimension)
Recommended Pinterest Image Sizes For 2021
Another visual social network, which is highly popular like Instagram, is Pinterest. Pinterest is an important platform that people use for inspiration on many subjects. That’s why it’s very important to present your images correctly and have a command of Pinterest image sizes in order to get the users’ attention.
Pinterest Profile Image Size: 240 x 240 px
- The recommended size for Pinterest profile image should be at least 240 x 240 pixels.
- A profile photo of maximum 10MB can be uploaded.
Pinterest Pin Image Size: 1000 x 1500 px
A Pin is any image that you have seen on Pinterest and is shared by users.
- The recommended size for the Pinterest pin image should be at least 1000 x 1500 pixels.
- The recommended aspect ratio is 1:3.5 to 2:3.
Pinterest Board Preview Image Size: 222 x 150 px
A board image helps users understand what’s on the board and entice them to click.
- The recommended size for small board preview image should be 55 x 55 pixels, and 222 x 150 pixels for large board preview image.
Recommended Other Pinterest Image Sizes
- Pinterest Story Pins image size: 1080 x 1920 px
- Pinterest Video specs: 1:1 (square); 2:3, 9:16 (vertical)
Recommended Linkedin Image Sizes For 2021
Unlike other social networks, LinkedIn is a great platform to establish business relationships with people. That’s why it is truly valuable to capture the attention of LinkedIn users, and as always, images have a key role in doing so.
In order to allow you to benefit from the power of images on LinkedIn, we have listed the different image sizes on LinkedIn for you below:
Linkedin Profile Picture Image Size: 400 x 400px
Your LinkedIn profile photo is the first thing people see when they meet you on LinkedIn by coincidence or in different ways, including search results. That’s why -in order to impress people- you need to choose a more professional profile photo on LinkedIn, unlike photos used on social networks that are more suitable for personal use, such as Facebook.
- The recommended size for LinkedIn profile image should be between 400 x 400 pixels and 7680 x 4320 pixels.
Linkedin Header Image Size: 1584 x 396 px
- The recommended size for your personal LinkedIn header image is 1548 x 396 pixels and the maximum file size is 8 MB.
Linkedin Post Image Size: 1104 x 736 px
- The recommended size for images shared on LinkedIn should be 1104 x 736 pixels.
Recommended Other Linkedin Image Sizes
- LinkedIn company profile picture size: 300 x 300 px
- LinkedIn company cover image size: 1536 x 768 px
- LinkedIn Dynamic Ads size: 100 x 100 px
We have come to the end of our list. Can you keep up with the constantly updated social media image sizes? Please write us in the comment field. Please share your experiences and suggestions to help us improve our content.